Sunday, June 28, 2015

LARGE PLEIN AIR LANDSCAPE by TOM BROWN

CLICK HERE to bid.
This is a 16x10 inch original oil painting on canvas, created entirely on location as a demonstration for artists attending a plein air workshop I taught. This is a view from Quail Hill in Irvine, California. I was inspired by the sweeping panorama of the landscape with distant mountains in the background, and wanted to capture that effect on canvas.

To create this painting I used a combination of brushes and palette knives. Brushes enable me to put smoothly blended strokes together and create soft, delicate edges. The knife allows me to create bolder applications of thick, juicy oil paint for contrast with the softer brush strokes. The result of combining both techniques creates a rich surface texture on the canvas and injects far more interest into a large painting like this than the exclusive use of a brush would have done. I was very pleased with this painting and I think it will make a nice addition to your collection.

Questions? Email me here: 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home