Tuesday, January 20, 2015

TIPS FOR CATCHING RAINBOWS by TOM BROWN

Click HERE  for this painting.

A few tips for my artist friends:
When painting roainbows keep your overall composition uncomplicated; don’t try to put too much into it. The rainbow should be the focal point; everything else should support that without competing.

Start by graying-down everything but the rainbow. This helps make the rainbow itself look more pure in color without overdoing it. Observe carefully and you’ll notice how the sky beneath the arc of the rainbow is usually a little bit lighter than above it. Many artists never notice this, but it’s important. This is the kind of thing you notice when you’re actually painting outdoors right from Nature’s inspiration.

So I guess my final tip is to actually get right out there and observe. Don’t work from photos; they can be very misleading but Mother Nature gives you everything you need. Take advantage of that.

It was great fun painting this one, and I hope you like it as much as I enjoyed creating it. Thanks for looking.

Also check out my downloadable eBook Tutorials
My Video Tutorials can be downloaded from the right-hand side of my blog
Browse art in my Etsy store too
Questions?
Email me at tombrownstudio@cox.net

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home